Although I am not getting tons done (like I'd imagined) while the older ones are at school, being here with just the little ones helps me focus on doing things that are more 'just for them'. I love that aspect, and our days feel somewhat laid back. Once kids get home we start the run-around, (soccer, gymnastics, piano, scouts, activity days, ect.) all while trying to make sure we keep up on the growing amount of homework the kids are expected to do. It is a little overwhelming when everyone needs my help at the same time, (which is also supposed to be when I am making dinner) and sometimes I feel stretched a little thin. Thank goodness for Jeff and his flexible work schedule. I can't imagine what it will be like when all of my children are involved in school and activities. I will try to not think about that until I have to.
For now, I just worry if I am filling everyone's needs. I have so little time with my older kids. When they get home and ALL want to have my attention- to show me things, or tell me about their day- everyone wants to talk at once, and it is so hard to give them that personal attention. As a mom, it just makes you worry that you are doing (or even capable of doing?) enough. Dang. I got long-winded and a little whiny again. Oh well, on to the pictures.
We managed to squeeze in a 4 day camping trip with some friends over Labor day. We went to Stanley Lake and took our dinosaur trailer. I think it is older than Jeff. Despite its oldness, it is extremely fun to camp in! And it sleeps our whole fam!
Here's a bunch of our group at a hot springs. The spring runs off the mountain and into the river, and then people have piled rocks to make pools. Where you sit determines how hot it is. It was pretty cool, and it was nice to wash off after being dirty campers.
On Sunday we got to attend Testimony meeting in Stanley which I thought was so awesome. The room was full, so the overflow was out in a beautiful meadow. I had such an overwhelming feeling of gratitude as I sat in that meeting of this beautiful world Heavenly Father gave us. What a beautiful place that was.
We took the kids to the fish hatchery, where the kids got to fish a stocked pond. Neither Jeff or I can boast of being avid fishermen, but in the spirit of earning more scout requirements, I purchased a pole and some bait on the way out of town, and we gave it a stab.
I guess if you are inexperienced, a stocked pond is the way to go. All four of the older kids (the only ones who actually cared) caught fish. And I appreciate Jeff so much for being so determined to get Lexie a fish. She tried and tried, and he hung in there with her until all the patience paid off. I think she'd have been so disappointed in we'd given up.
When we got back to camp, Jeff took some of the kids down to the lake to clean the fish. Kobe about lost his lunch and came back to hang out at the fire with me, while Brooklyn and her pal Lizza thought it was SO cool!Jeff wrapped them in foil and cooked 'em up for dinner. Again, Brookie and Lizza were good sports and ate some fish. I went for the s'mores instead.
Our friends, the Wallaces, brought along a canoe and gave rides which was fun and unique. It was cool being on a beautiful mountain lake with no loud motor boats around. Everyone had rafts or canoes.


That's the Sawtooth Mountains in the background. Soooo pretty. So yeah, fun trip for the most part. That would be other than the overtired meltdowns from the first week of school. I think everyone had at least one.
On to some of the other pics begging to be talked about.

Here is the new-school-clothes fashion show. I had to take pictures of EACH outfit. (I couldn't even pretend-they checked the camera)
Just thought you'd like to see what the boys do during a fashion show- nice, everyone is smiling at this point.
Okay, we made it to 1st day of school. Gotta do the backpack picture.

Oh NO! Sorry Lukie, I know you would not approve. I couldn't help myself. Aren't they cute little twins? We must have been low on clean laundry after our camping trip.
Our friends, the Wallaces, brought along a canoe and gave rides which was fun and unique. It was cool being on a beautiful mountain lake with no loud motor boats around. Everyone had rafts or canoes.

That's the Sawtooth Mountains in the background. Soooo pretty. So yeah, fun trip for the most part. That would be other than the overtired meltdowns from the first week of school. I think everyone had at least one.
On to some of the other pics begging to be talked about.

Okay, I had to throw this one in for fun. It is Lukie's favorite chair. (the dogs water bowl)
Here is the new-school-clothes fashion show. I had to take pictures of EACH outfit. (I couldn't even pretend-they checked the camera)
Just thought you'd like to see what the boys do during a fashion show- nice, everyone is smiling at this point.
Okay, we made it to 1st day of school. Gotta do the backpack picture.
Oh NO! Sorry Lukie, I know you would not approve. I couldn't help myself. Aren't they cute little twins? We must have been low on clean laundry after our camping trip. I apologize that that was somewhat of a scatterbrained and disorganized post. Well, such is life this time of year, right? I hope you are all surviving your own adjustments.



5 comments:
I loved seeing the kids' 1st day of school pictures... such cuties. And Lukie's pj's gave me a good laugh. I hope you know that you are the most amazing mom I know! Your kids are so lucky to have you... a mom that's so fun, kind, and pretty. I hope to be as good at the mommy business as you someday. You've got it all Ape! Love you!!!
Sounds like you guys are pretty busy! The transition back to school is a tough one at our house. I also feel overwhelmed at that time of day. I actually frequently worry about being able to keep up with all of the kids and their schoolwork and activites. Luckily I still have a few years until everyone is old enough for everything. I have no idea how moms can do it with multiple children in multiple activites.
You are a wonderful mom. You're doing a great job!
Hi April,
I love your posts. It inspires me to keep working at mine. We miss you all sooooo much. The pics and commentary help fill the gaps we would otherwise miss as the grandkids grow. Your are all the GREATEST!
You guys seem to always do fun stuff together as a family. What fun memories! That lake area looks amazing!
I love all your posts, stories and pictures. Your kids are all SO cute. Please don't think you are long winded.... I love it, I love getting all the details since I don't get to see to see you much! I love the fashion show with the girls and the wrestling with the boys.. it just shows how different they really are.
Post a Comment