Friday, August 22, 2008

Lake Powell

Here I go reporting on another great vacation! It seems like that is how my summer has gone. Pack, vacation, come home, LAUNDRY, pack, vacation, & so on. I hope that didn't sound like I was complaining! (except for the laundry- that's legit)

Anyway, Lake Powell - or as Zack says "Powell Lake" - is one of our families favorite vacations. I love the beautiful red rocks, the breathtaking night sky full of shooting stars, the warm water (a must for me), and the good food - okay, okay junk food. (But it's way to good to call junk!) Most of all, I know Lake Powell means a week of relaxing and spending time with family and friends that I love.This is why I could never get tired of returning to the same place each year.

There were a few things I felt made this a memorable trip.First of all, my kids went bananas with catching lizards. I bet they caught like at least 10. Even Zack would head off and like 5 minutes later come back with a lizard in tow. They made them a nice little habitat in a 5 gallon bucket, and were so mad when I made them release the ones that didn't die. (go figure)

Every morning we had ducks come quacking for scraps. I think Zack and Griffin had the most fun throwing them bread scraps. They also had fun seeing what else the ducks might want to eat. Too bad most of it was not edible and had to be fished out later. There were 3 ducks that seemed to keep coming back so I asked Zack what their names were. He answered me immediately as if he had already thought it out. Their names were Shmarshshmello, Bread, and Hotdog. Notice all 3 were named after food. Anyone who knows my Zack is not surprised.

I have to mention the crazy downpour that left 3-4 inches of water in our tent. Our rainfly lasted, oh - like 30 seconds into the storm before it blew off. Mom and Dad your tent is the bomb. Luckily we all fit on the boat that night. The next day all of my stuff was strewn everywhere- pillows, bedding and clothes!

Our beach had an amazing sand sculpture when we arrived. We snapped our pictures quick because we knew it wouldn't last. I still think Nate should have left some kind of Olympic badger sculpture. That would have been cool.

One fun surprise was Jeff's mission buddy Josh actually found our camp (they were there also) and got to take Jeff waterskiing. What are the odds of that?!So anyway- we had a great time. Thanks mom and dad!

1 comment:

Boyd Nielson said...

You are the best! I love your family, and they are so fun to be with at L.P.
I hope we can go every year for at least 50 more times.