Thursday, April 14, 2011

I tried to stop her!

I have come to terms with the fact that parenthood is full of these types of moments, and really I am only getting started. I mean- preschool, kindergarten, getting baptized, fifth grade (oldest in elementary), middle school, -each step has brought on that realization that my kids are growing up and there is little, if not nothing, I can do about it. But really, this year has been quite a doozy. I have watched little Lexie go from being a little girl to being (literally) a young woman. It has been a little blatent to miss. The beginning of 6th she was still so young. I can't believe the changes she has gone through this year. In just a few short months she went from playing and pretending- to only hanging out. She has discovered the phone and it is not uncommon to find all 3 of our house phones back in her room. She is babysitting more and more for other people, and I swear she has more cash than me sometimes. She has notified me that there are certain stores you MUST shop at when in middle school. I had a feeling that day was coming. We are trying to compromise. (Savers? DI?) She is noticing boys, and THEY are noticing her. She is staying up LATER and LATER- and getting up earlier and earlier. We have had several late night conversations this year about the offensive things that people do and say in school. Some of the terms I never heard until AFTER I was married. I guess I am trying to figure out how to help her be 'IN the world' but not 'OF the world'. It is hard and scary.
Now I hope I am not coming off extremely negative, because truth is, this is a little depressing to type about these things. But don't get me wrong. It is a joy to watch her growing up. I am so proud of her and the choices she makes. She has been extremely blessed with good friends, which is just as much a blessing for me as it is for her, I think. She is becoming more responsible, which I love, but I also feel our relationship has become stronger than ever. There. Having gotten all that off my chest, I will now tell you about her day, which was my intention in the first place. Here is Lexie at her fifth birthday party.
Now here is her at #12! We actually didn't get to do cake and candles until the following day, because Lexie took a babysitting job on her birthday night. I thought she might opt out, but she is a pretty dedicated sitter.


This was the birthday we decided to let her wear mascara. So we went on a special mom/b-day girl date. I got a cheap hotel on Priceline, and we pulled an all nighter! We shopped and shopped hoping to find a dress for first day in Young Women's, but she is in such a hard size to buy for right now. She doesn't like the 'little girl' stuff, and needs like an XXS and size 0 in pants. Yeah, good luck. We were a little disappointed. But we did get in plenty of good food and playing.


Here is the birthday crowd that came as Lexie was leaving for her babysitting job. All my little crazies, with a neighbor thrown in the mix. Some interesting faces in that one...


I've dubbed this my 'Lexie Cake', since she was who dreamed it up, and she requests it every year. It is high on my list of yummy cakes too!


I love this picture for 2 reasons. #1 All my kids seem to be able to do cool tricks with their tounges. If you could see this from the side, she can fold her tongue flat in half. Pretty tricky. #2, sometimes you don't see what's in the background until AFTER you take the picture. That is SO Brooklyn.
Here is Lexie with all her B-day loot. I was so impressed by the number of people who went out of their way to help make this birthday an extra special one. And I was relieved to hear that she really wanted a stuffed elephant and Tangled for her present. Maybe she is still my little girl after all.

4 comments:

Misty Call said...

Wow Ape! Why did your post make me get teary eyed??? Maybe it's because out of all my nieces and nephews, Lexie's the one I spent the most time playing with. I used to pretend that she was "my baby" when I'd babysit her and I loved doing her hair and trying to be a fun aunt. I have SO many pictures I took of her when she was a baby and a toddler because we always had so much fun together. It's crazy to think that I was her age when she was born. Sheesh, she is so grown up and SOOO beautiful. I just can't believe it.
I sure love you Lexie Lou!!! Maybe I can somehow convince you to spend some of your summer out here babysitting/visiting your ol' Aunt Misty:).

Tammy said...

I know what you are going through. My Lexi turns 11 on the 20th and we are going through some of the same things. Good luck and we are not gettng old, we are just experienced.

Mel Bernard said...

She is BEAUTIFUL.. just like her momma!!
It's CRAZY that she is 12... they grow up way too fast.
Happy Birthday Lex!!!

John and Ashley said...

I can't believe it. She is so sweet. It is so scary raising kids today. You just teach them what you can and hope for the best while they are away. I love that she talks to you about what is being said at school. Tayden is really good at that to.